Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Art time! Chalk and Paint

We have this wonderful, wonderful book - Scribble Art by Mary Ann Kohl.

It is full of great ideas for art. Most of it is open-ended art, focusing on the process not the product. That's hard for me sometimes; I do like me a good craft every now and then. :) However, I have seen with M that he seems to get the most enjoyment (and is occupied the longest, which is always a plus for the mama) with simple art. Painting, glueing, drawing, building, sculpting, etc. With no end product in mind, just the enjoyment of... art.

Today we tried a project in the book that we haven't tried before. It sounded really neat: dip colored chalk in white paint and draw on black paper. It is supposed to outline the chalk with white. Well, for the first time, I was disappointed by a suggestion in this book. However, in the interest of full disclosure, I have to say maybe we just didn't do it correctly, or maybe M needs to be a bit older to have it turn out like it's supposed to.

He seemed to think he should paint with the chalk, instead of draw with it. So he didn't press down on it really, and not much chalk showed up on the paper.
Here is a picture of it finished and hanging up to dry:

I think we'll try something similar some other time - dipping chalk in water or liquid starch and drawing on black paper. The chalk by itself looked pretty on the paper, and getting it wet might enhance the color a bit.

I have to say, M's opinion was a bit different though - he loves his finished artwork and when it dries he wants to hang it in his room. :) And of course we will.
If you try this and it turns out better, let me know. I'd love to see some pictures!

Have a beautiful day (even if it doesn't turn out like you wanted)!

1 comment:

  1. This project looks great. One of my favorite bloggers, Teaching My Little Bookworm, has just started a weekly carnival on open-ended art here - http://lettersnumbersandbooksohmy.blogspot.com/2009/07/open-ended-art-tissue-paper-what-is.htm. As you can see, this week topic is tissue paper. Maybe you want to join in the fun :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; I love reading them! If you ask a question and don't receive a personal reply, check back here for the answer. Often I reply via comment to something that might be of interest to others.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...