Saturday, November 20, 2010

Books of the Week – Thornton Burgess

We’ve been reading more and more chapter books lately.  I read out loud to M at lunch, which really helps me not to eat too much, which in turn helps my level of fatigue in the afternoon to not be too terribly awful. (Like you really needed to know all that, right? :) )

Anyway, we’ve just finished reading The Adventures of Buster Bear, by Thornton Burgess.  This was such a fun book to read.  I have to admit, I edited a tiny bit of it that had to do with hunting, but it was only a couple of pages and really minor.  This book is full of fun, and excitement.  it seems funny to say about animals, but the character development is wonderful. :)  The vocabulary that Burgess uses is great, and the context of the story is so easily understandable that new words were absolutely no problem for M.  In my opinion, this was good, old-fashioned storytelling at its best.  If your child loves animals, he or she will love these books!

There are not many illustrations, but I don’t think M even noticed.  The story is just detailed enough to help along one’s imagination.

I bought this book and many of the others in the widget above several years ago, and I’m so happy to be able to read them to my son now.  M is really looking forward to all the other stories!

For more reviews of children’s books, check out Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.

Have a beautiful day! :)

2 comments:

  1. These sound great. My library has two of them (not Buster Bear), so I might go check them out tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining WMCIR! You really find fantastic chapter books. We just discussed yesterday that we need to read more chapter books at home.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; I love reading them! If you ask a question and don't receive a personal reply, check back here for the answer. Often I reply via comment to something that might be of interest to others.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...