Sunday, February 20, 2011

Montessori Homeschooling

I love the idea of Montessori, but have often wished for something that was geared more for homeschooling a child in the Montessori method, as everything seems to be for the classroom.  The idea that children should start Montessori schooling before age 3, which means sending them to a school is the one area that makes me uncomfortable with the method. 

I think a child of that age should be with Mama if at all possible!

So I was very happy to hear about a new Montessori homeschool program for ages 3 to 6.  If you are interested you can check it out at NAMC!  This program includes curriculum and materials, and looks great!

Have a beautiful day! :)

 

2 comments:

  1. I'm on the same page as you are, but remember Maria Montessori worked in a children's house, she wasn't speaking as a mother ;) Also at home you're not required to teach anything or meet any standards, so there is more freedom to mix & match what you feel works. I've no real knowledge of the montessori method to speak of, but am very interested in reading more about it. I have a first edition Dutch translation off her book from 1916, bit hard to get through... I went from homeschooling with worktrays to unschooling and am now veering back towards more montessori style workperiods.
    Today I tried to introduce the 'silence game' as I feel my 5 y/o son would benefit from a more calm work attitude and environment, once he's mastered being quiet, using a quiet voice, moving more deliberate, focussing through background sounds etc my middle child will be 3. I hope she'll pick up a good work attitude from our example... I'll be posting about that some time soon. Maybe... ;)
    I feel montessori is a lot about attitude towards the child and prepared environments something easily integrated into home-life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a neat program. It's too late for us to spend that much money to start now, but I wish we'd known about it sooner!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; I love reading them! If you ask a question and don't receive a personal reply, check back here for the answer. Often I reply via comment to something that might be of interest to others.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...